Friday, November 20, 2009

You Had Me at Hello

Have you ever had that one person that makes you feel like you've never felt before? That one person that completes you, makes you feel like the whole world. I'm known for not having much of a good dating record. Sure, I've help up a few long term relationships, but nothing serious until I met Dalton. It's beyond crazy how we met, maybe I should start from the beginning.

Now, first let's get this straight, I'm not a big partier, I don't drink hardly ever. But this past summer was horrible. I had just gotten out of a year and a half relationship (that we knew was turning bad but just couldn't leave without it turning into hate), then I dated this one guy who didn't really care about me at all. So, I started going to more parties and not making the best choices. But, then my life turned around.
So, from the beginning...I live in Kentucky and I also live in the same county as another CF family, the mother's name being Sandy. A few years back, her oldest daughter had to have a double lung transplant in St. Louis, Missouri. While in the hospital in Missouri, Sandy met Renee'. Let's fast forward a few years later. It is now October-December 2008, I added Renee' on facebook. I didn't think anything of it, nor did I ever even talk to her. Now, to fast forward a few months. On August 1, 2009 I was on facebook, trying to cure my boredom. On my news feed I noticed a picture pop up of someone who looked kinda familiar (I'm not gonna lie) but at the same time, it was impossible because it was from Renee's photos. I clicked on this photo. In the photo, there was a boy, sitting in a hospital bed, trying to eat 6 crackers in 60 seconds. I just kinda looked at it for about a minute. I wasn't looking for love or a relationship when I decided to message him, but I just wanted to let him know that I knew what it was like to be in the hospital (because after doing a little bit of facebook stalking, I knew that he had CF). Little did I know, that one message would escalate into hundreds of messages and hours of talking on skype (webcam) about music, goals in our lives, CF, drinking games (haha), and meeting each other. After a day and 3 hours of knowing each other, we decided we wanted to meet each other. It was like I had known him for forever and doing this felt right. The only problem was that he had b.cepacia. To be quite honest, I didn't know what this was. When he told me he had it, I quickly researched it. I looked at numerous sites to find out how you get it, what problems it causes, and everything in between. Surprisingly, this didn't affect the fact of how much I wanted to meet him.

We talked for days and days following August 1st (I'm pretty sure we haven't missed a day). He told me he wanted to come in on my birthday which was August 26. I was so shocked that someone wanted to actually meet me, especially someone who lived 8 hours away from my hometown. We then made plans for him and his mom to come in and stay at the Stockton Station Inn, the bed and breakfast that my aunt and uncle own.
Let's do another fast forward.. On August 28, I met Dalton at the local Dairy Queen at around 7:10 pm, right after I got off of work. I will tell you, I was so nervous. I met this guy on facebook, in reality. I mean sure, we connected in more ways than one, but if you step back and look at the situation, you could call me crazy! Anywho, back to the story.. I met him at the Dairy Queen. I remember, he was wearing a black shirt, and his sunglasses. He was leaned up against the wall, waiting, for me. I pulled up, you know, trying to play it cool. I was so nervous but it felt as if I had been waiting on him for forever, like I had known him and he had just been away on vacation or something. We drove around town for a while. My mom cooked dinner for all of us and we were due there soon (we ended up being late)! But, he told me he wanted to give me my birthday present (2 days late, might I add, haha), so I pulled into the Kens/Pharmacy/Video Solution parking lot and I put the car in park and shut it off. He pulled something out of his pocket. He started to tell me a story of his grandpa, and how he gave him the necklace, and told him that he better outlive him. (RIP-LKP) And so Dalton said to me, "my grandpa gave me this telling me to outlive him, now I'm giving it to you and that means you have to outlive me." I can honestly say I am never speechless, but at that moment I was speechless. I had no idea what to say, heck, I wasn't even sure if I could accept it. But I did, and I now wear it all the time! The next few days were awesome. On Saturday night, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I remember it too. We were in his hotel room and we were laying on his bed (his mom went out to eat with Sandy) and we were drinking wine, because well, we thought we were cool! And he asked me and all I was so ecstatic on the inside! Like I mean, the whole time he was there, all I could do was smile anyway, but when he asked me I was tripping, and of course I said yes!
You know how they always say, when you're in love you just know. It's almost like a feeling that happens as soon as you meet this special person. Well on Sunday night, after Dalton and I got home from eating at Logan's (my favorite resturant) with Laura and Dale (just a couple of friends), we sat there in the car. Talking, listening to music, and loving each moment of one another's presence. I loved him, and I knew it. What I didn't know was that he was feeling the exact same way, until he told me how he felt. I was so amazed at how well we connected and I was excited to start this new relationship with someone that I felt so strongly about. It was hard to see him leave on September 2, but atleast we got to spend 5 wonderful days together.
That was about 3 months ago. There have been many more memories since then, and there will continue to be plenty more. I am completely in love with Dalton and he is the one person I have been searching for, wanting all my life.
Many people go through life searching and looking in all the wrong places. This one caught me totally off guard. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He understands me like noone else. And, I love him.

I have also made a major life changing decision. If you follow his blog he recently posted the news. I am indeed moving to Missouri (from Kentucky) to have the opportunity to spend more time with him, while we are health(ier) and are able to do more things. I have really thought about this decision, long and hard. I have even talked to a few people about it: people that I trust and respect, and those who only want the best for me. Most of them said that I should follow my heart, and my gut instinct. My heart is telling me to go, to do what I have to do. So, as of January 2010, Dalton and I will be moving in together, hopefully making memories that will last us a lifetime.


What I'm Thankful for Today:
Dalton Lee Prager- The love of my life. One person who I can say fully understands me inside and out. He knows exactly what I am going through. From my daily struggles with CF, to the breathing problems, the medicine, just everything. And it's not just CF, we also share some similar music tastes, have fun no matter what we're doing, and get along so great. I know that God has a special plan for us and that we are going to be able to make this all work out. I love Dalton and I know that he loves me. We care so much for each other and I can't wait to start my life with him. This is the person in which I wake up for everyday; I'm not only fighting my life for me, I'm fighting for us. He gives me a reason to breathe.

Dalton, sweetheart, I love you so much. Thank you for the past few months and for the many more months that I know you are going to make absolutely amazing. I love you and everything about you. You are everything I want and need. Just think, only a month and a half and we will be together, for real. Tackling each daily struggle together, just like God has planned. If only everyone knew how crazy these past few months have been, and even the months before August and all those years leading up to the present, they would know you were sent to me, my own special gift from God. That's what you are Dalton, a gift from God. When he made me, he had you in mind, and I do believe that. I love you so much, Dalton Prager.

No comments:

Post a Comment