Monday, November 16, 2009

I'm Not a Princess, This Ain't a Fairy Tale

Today was an extremely rough day. I woke up hearing the voice of a doctor telling my mom that I wasn't sick, that everything I had been feeling for the past couple months was just a 'mild CF exacerbation' and that I would be going home Monday afternoon. Okay, really? I basically wasted a weekend of coming in here only to go out not feeling any better, worse perhaps, and the doctor thinks I'm not sick? Okay.
Mom also visited again today. I was just in a bad mood really all day, so she left early (around 3:00). Then I got my dinner tray and all it had on it was onion rings, a bag of chips, and four cups of fruit. How do they expect a CF patient to live off of that!? That made me even more upset, so my nurse Beth came in and I told her it was the worse day ever and although I hadn't talked to her all day we had a heart-to-heart about everything. Life, love, Dalton, CF, me moving to Missouri, my grandmother, my parents, just everything. It really allowed me to get a lot off of my chest. She was an amazing listener and we both shared some tears. It was seriously what I needed.
After all that, I got to spend a few hours talking to my love. He went to sleep 1 am (my time, midnight his) and so I was left alone again with my night shift nurse to talk. And of course, she came in (after adding me on facebook to tell me what a cute couple we were) to talk to me. We also had a heart-to-heart about the same things above, not in as much detail though.
That's one thing I love about coming into the hospital you form bonds with the nurses. Not so much the doctors or surgeons, but with the nurses. They have a special heart, they are compassionate people. I mean, they have to be. So, this brings me to..

What I'm Thankful for Today:
Nurses- Some of the wisest people I know. I have known many throughout my 19 years and all have touched my heart in a special way. We have shared tears, memories, laughs, and everything in between. From being in the children's hospital and now making the major adjustment to the adult hospital. I have met some of the most wonderful people that walk these floors three days a week. I love each one of them in different ways and I hold each of them in my heart. They are each like gold to me and I will cherish what they have told me and taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment